"ALL THAT I AM, OR HOPE TO BE, I OWE TO MY WONDERFUL PARENTS."
THEY SET SUCH A WONDERFUL EXAMPLE OF MARRAIGE FOR ME. THEY WERE MARRIED FOR 59 YEARS BEFORE MY FATHER RETURNED TO LIVE WITH OUR HEAVENLY FATHER IN FEBRUARY OF 2003. THEY HAD A GREAT MARRIAGE, THEY LOVED EACH OTHER AND TOOK GOOD CARE OF EACH OTHER. NOW, THIS IS NOT TO SAY THAT THEY DIDN'T HAVE A SPAT NOW AND THEN OR FUSS AT EACH OTHER, BECAUSE LIKE ALL MARRIAGES THEY DID, FOR THEM, FUSSING AT EACH OTHER WAS THEIR "TERMS OF ENDEARMENT". HOWEVER, THEY ALSO KNEW HOW TO FORGIVE AND FORGET. THEY TAUGHT ME THE BALANCE OF NOT JUST MARRIAGE, BUT ALSO OF LIFE. THINGS WON'T ALWAYS GO PERFECTLY SMOOTH SO LEARN HOW TO RIDE OUT THE ROUGH WATERS. FOR THIS I WILL BE ETERNALY GREATFUL.
"LOVE IS NOT A MATTER OF COUNTING THE YEARS, IT'S A MATTER OF MAKING THE YEARS COUNT."
WHEN I LOOK BACK AT MY LIFE, MY GREATEST HAPPINESSES ARE FAMILY HAPPINESSES.
I HAD A WONDERFUL CHILDHOOD. I WAS RAISED IN AN ENVIROMENT OF LOVE, SECURITY, TRUE JOY AND FAMILY. MY PARENTS WERE GREAT PARENTS, I THINK THEY RAISED US IN AN ALMOST PERFECT WAY. WE WERE LOVED, WE KNEW WE WERE LOVED, THEY TAUGHT US COMPASSION, CHARITY, RESPECT, FORGIVENESS, SELF WORTH, PATIENCE, FUN, AND OF COURSE HUMOR. WE WERE TAUGHT TO APPRECIATE OTHERS DIFFERENCES, TO WORK HARD AND TO PLAY HARD, WE WERE TAUGHT VALUES AND MORALES, THEN GIVEN THE FREEDOM TO MAKE OUR OWN WAY IN LIFE MISTAKES AND ALL, ALWAYS KNOWING THEY WERE THERE TO HELP, WE ALWAYS HAD THEIR UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. THEY SUPPORTED US IN EVERYTHING WE DID, I KNEW THEY WERE ALWAYS THERE FOR ME. I ALWAYS FELT SAFE, SPECIAL, VALUED AND LOVED.
"FEELINGS OF WORTH CAN FLOURISH ONLY IN AN ATMOSPHERE WERE INDIVIDUAL DIFFERENCES ARE APPRECIATED, MISTAKES ARE TOLERATED, COMMUNICATION IS OPEN, AND RULES ARE FLEXIBLE - THE KIND OF ATMOSPHERE THAT IS FOUND IN A NURTURING FAMILY."
OUR FAMILY WAS FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO HAVE ALWAYS LIVED AROUND OUR GRANDPARENTS AND GREAT-GRANDPARENTS. WHO ALSO PLAYED A HUGE ROLE IN MY LIFE. THEY TOO WERE WONDERFUL EXAMPLES. I HAVE SUCH FOND MEMORIES OF GET TOGETHERS WITH GRANDPARENTS, AUNTS, UNCLES AND COUSINS, IT GAVE ME SUCH A SENSE OF FAMILY AND WHO I WAS AND WERE I CAME FROM. THERE WAS SUCH LOVE AND SUPPORT AND CRAZY FUN TIMES.
I AM SO TRULY THANKFUL FOR PARENTS WHO WERE SUCH GREAT ROLE MODELS. WHO TAUGHT BY EXAMPLE, THE IMPORTANCE OF FAMILY, OF LOVE FOR LIFE, WHO TAUGHT ME THE IMPORTANCE OF HOW TO MAKE MY OWN HAPPINESS IN LIFE, TO BE CONTENT, TO KNOW THE THINGS IN LIFE THAT TRULY MATTER. FAMILY.
THEY ARE EXEMPLARY PARENTS, GRANDPARENTS AND GREAT GRANDPARENTS. MY, OH, MY, HOW THEY LOVE EACH AND EVERYONE OF THEIR CHILDREN AND THEIR FAMILIES. THEY DEDICATED THEIR LIVES TO THEIR FAMILIES. THEY HAVE THIS INNATE ABILITY TO MAKE EACH CHILD FEEL SO LOVED, UNIQUE AND SPECIAL. THEY MADE ME LOOK FORWARD TO BEING A PARENT AND A GRANDPARENT. (BOY, WERE THEY RIGHT, IT IS THE GREATEST)
4 comments:
Geez, you're way back's always make me cry. I want that picture of Grandma and Grandpa. I love old pictures of them when they were dating or just married. Such a handsome couple. They are great examples, and HUGE shoes to fill. I feel so lucky to have such great examples in my life. I don't think a lot of people have such great role models.
Look, I wore a cowboy hat even back then! I told you all I ever wanted to be was a cowgirl! Your tribute was truly touching. I too remember the great times we had and how much my parents loved me! I too miss Dad...but am glad Mom is still with us to enjoy us being parents and grandparents. How I love being a Grandma! They taught us well and for that I will be forever grateful!
They say no one is perfect, but I'd have to disagree because in my heart and mind grandma and grandpa are the two most perfect people I've ever met. I love them so much and am so grateful for the lives they led and the examples they are to each and every one of us. Family truly does mean everything to them and I'm thankful that that's a sentiment that's been passed down to each new Martin generation. I love that first picture of them, they are both so beautiful inside and out!
I love your post! I love to look through all the old pictures my mom has of family. And I'm fortunate enough to have the box of pictures here with us still since it hasn't been sent out to her in GA yet. I've been trying to go through and scan all the ones I like a lot so I can have copies of them for myself. My favorite ones are of my aunt as a little girl. I've been wanting to do a wayback wed. with them about her, but haven't with this crazy getting up so early. I'm going to definately have to do it next week with the schedule change coming!
Post a Comment